Idaho Grocery Sales Tax Refund

According to a recent Idaho Tax Commission news release, “Idaho residents who don’t normally make enough money to file an income tax return can still get a refund of the grocery tax credit for 2011.” Full-time Idahoans who have resided in the state for all of 2011 may qualify to receive $80 – $100 refund “…which offsets the sales tax on groceries.”

The Tax Commission will modify the refund if the resident has received federal food stamps or were in jail for part of the year. Their refund will be prorated according to the time those conditions existed. “Last year about 60,000 residents who weren’t required to file a tax return filed for a grocery credit refund.”

Taxpayers must provide proof of legal residency for themselves and each dependent and use Form 40, the Idaho Individual Income Tax Return. Residents over 65 use Form 24, the Idaho Grocery Credit Refund.

Get Free Tax Rate Tables