Questions about Rate Tables from Taxrates.com
- Why is this free?
- How do I download the rates?
- What does the file format look like?
- In what format is the rate file provided?
- What fields are provided in rate files?
- Are all special taxing jurisdictions included in the “Special Rate” field?
- How often are the rates updated, and how can I get updates?
- Who do I contact for additional questions on sales tax rates and solutions?
Taxrates.com is powered by Avalara, the leader in sales tax automation. We offer these rates for free as an entry-level product for companies just getting started with sales tax compliance.
- 1. Go to www.taxrates.com.
- 2. Click on “State Rates”.
- 3. a) If you need a single state’s rate file, click on the map to select your state (proceed to Step 4).
- b) If you need to download rates for multiple states scroll to the bottom of the page and select all states you need rates for. (proceed to Step 5).
- 4. On the “State Rate” page you have selected, click “Download…” button to begin downloading the state sales tax rate table (proceed to Step 6).
- 5. Upon selection, the state will be in a highlighted state, indicating that the state rate file is ready for download. To deselect a state, simply click again and the state will be deselected. To begin your download, click “Continue”.
- 6. Fill out the form to verify your download request and click “Download Now”.
- 7. You will be provided individual links to each of the states you have selected for download. Simply click the link and your download will begin.
The rate file is provided in a coma-separated CSV file format. This can be opened in a spreadsheet application like Excel, or manipulated to a compatible format to upload into accounting, ERP or e-commerce software.
The following fields are included in each rate file:
- TaxRegionCode (Unique Identifier)
- CombinedRate (Total Sales Tax Rate)
Yes, each additional taxing level beyond the City, State and County is included in the SpecialRate field. It is a combined value. For additional taxing level information, please contact us.
The rates are updated monthly at the end of a calendar month for the upcoming month. To receive updates, you should simply return to place an order and receive links to download the updated files via email.
For information on more robust sales tax solutions, or if you have other questions, contact us.